Thursday, April 22, 2010

Run, Forrest! Run!

April 21, 2010: Close call today. Getting onto the 192 bus the driver said I wouldn't make it to the train in time after he kept going some distance in unfortunately the opposite direction. Not yet paying I jumped off the bus and I could hear Genny in the distance as I took off..."Run, Forrest! Run!"

I ran and ran and ran...stopping for a brief second to catch some life back into me and something inside of me told me I can not stop, so then I continued at my handicapped aboriginal like speeds - thankfully not barefoot. I kept running in my gimp like fashion making up for the Sound of Narrows race I weaseled my way out of 19 years ago and didn't rest until I made it to the bus stop. About 10.09004036578 seconds later...the 302 bus came whipping around the roundabout - the last one of the night. Getting on the bus out of breath I happily paid my $0.75 USD for the bus instead of the $8.00 USD for a cab and stumbled to the nearest open seat trying to catch my breath as my chest burnt as if someone started a fire from deep within.

This little run of mine will definitely cost me. It will cost me because now that I sweated profusely in my freshly laundered shirt, socks and even underwear, which I will now have to prematurely wash. In addition to this I also wore some valuable millimeters off my soles of my shoes which I will someday have to replace them a few days sooner than anticipated. We also cant forget about the calories burnt meaning I am somehow going to replenish them and apples surely don't grow on free trees here in Colombia or anywhere else in the world...unless there are your neighbors.

Thankfully there is almost always a positive for every negative. So pulling the positive thing I got out of this is that I am now 2203 calories lighter and when you look at me with a light directly behind me, you can see my heart beat. Now, all I need to do is put a can in front of me and stand on a milk crate in the street...I will surely recoup any lost costs in only a few hours. Time to find myself a can...and a crate.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Hope all is well and let me know if you'll be sticking around there for a while.

    -pete

    ReplyDelete