Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Lost City Trek

December 14th, 2009: Today I experienced why most of the travel guides inform backpackers on how demanding this six day trek can be, completing several kilometers and seven hours of hiking for the day…reaching a mere 660 meters higher than I started after a roller coaster of hills and a multitude of river crossings. Unfortunately for me, the final stretch to the Lost City had no escalator to whisk me to the top, meaning that I was forced to put my weak chicken like legs to work. Slowly, I made my way up, one step at a time climbing up the 1200 awkwardly shaped steps as my body threw a tantrum as I painfully directed it to continue moving forward, vowing that I am going to give up hiking in three short days…questioning why I agreed to write this tour up.

Reaching the Lost City, I was clearly reminded on why hiking can be so rewarding as a smile of accomplishment came tearing across my face as I stood there with a temporary loss of words, trying to describe on paper what rested in front of me. Here I had magnificent views overlooking the dense jungle and rugged terrain, enjoying the sight that a miniscule amount of the white wheel chaired license plate holders get the opportunity to see back in the U.S., making the moment even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment