Saturday, January 9, 2010

2010…Anthony’s Odyssey

January 1st, 2009: I Enjoyed New Years Eve at my friends house as I sat drinking soda (aka pop) when the others consumed Budweiser, a foreign beer company that amusingly claims on the can that it is the King of Beers – perhaps for those who enjoy drinking an expensive glass of urine.

Four minutes before it was really New Year’s…the drunkard with the concert sized speakers lining the outside of his house mistakenly started the New Year’s music too early. As if someone shot the first round in a crowd of trigger happy Infantryman…there was no stopping the song or the carnage of male hugs and women cheek kisses that filled the narrow streets of the caged compounds. It was nice to see how neighbors know their neighbors and are not locked into their houses but enjoying it with a much larger family. I really miss having quality neighbors such as in my youth…the sort of neighbors that felt like family members, not just someone who has no name and habitats the house next door.

Last night, I learned how to score 12 wishes in one night – a lot compared to the just one wish you get when you turn a year older. All you need is 12 grapes that represents 12 months and consume the grapes at midnight making one wish for each grape. I also discovered a way not to look like a pyromaniac and found an acceptable way to light on fire a pile of stuffed clothes resembling a human. This ritual is to get rid of all the bad things that happened in the previous year and to start a new year – and of course to give you a reason to light something bigger on fire than some firecrackers or a few sticks in a measly little ole fire pit.

When I see “2010” I can’t help but think about outer space due to the film, 2010 A Space Odyssey. When I was a child, I thought that 2010 was so far away…and now, it is 2010. Time does go faster than we would all like at times - so did the creator of 2010 who I suppose probably thought we would be much farther along in the exploration of space than we really are. I can safely say that the word “Odyssey” is a good representation of my life. Not just now, but since I was born life has been a long series of travels and adventures. Whether it has been spent sitting on the porch where I grew up in Allen Park or sitting on the street in some chaotic city in Asia - it doesn’t matter where I physically am. So welcome 2010 and to the continuation of my odyssey.

1 comment: