Friday, January 1, 2010

The Beach

December 6th, 2009: Please note: “No gracias” translated into English means, “No thank you.”

Making it the tourist mecca of Colombia, I sit on the beach that rests beneath the shadows of the manmade structures that rise from the ground to great heights. Within the first 3 minutes I was swarmed by the walking salesman. No time to relax, I laughed as I heard myself say, “No gracias (no massage), no gracias (no bracelet), no gracias (no crab), no gracias (no oyster), no gracias (no freestyle personal rap session), no gracias (no whatever that is), no gracias (no painting), no gracias (no sunglasses), no gracias (no cigarettes), no gracias (no photos), no gracias (no necklaces), no gracias (no candy), no gracias (no beer), no gracias (no carved turtles), no gracias (no carved dolphins), no gracias (no hat), no gracias (no soda)…”

Overlooking the beach between the salesmen, 100’s of people stand like bowling pins lined up in the ocean, looking like a poor attempt of people trying to join hands across America.

Needing to consume so some required calories, I headed over to McDonalds for a Big Mac to complete my mental confusion on where I was, feeling as if I was no longer in Colombia.

No comments:

Post a Comment