Sunday, October 16, 2011

If I put my head down, nobody will talk to me…I hope

October 13, 2011:  I took for granted the past few years on how easy things were traveling when you have a general idea on what people are trying to tell you.  It is also nice to be able to speak to people if you wanted to even if it was only basic conversation.  Now since I am in Brazil, I am stuck speaking Spanish to people who speak Portuguese. 

These past few days reminded me of my first day in Bogota, Colombia…looking down as I walk, afraid that someone was going to talk to me.  Give it some time and I will have the basics in Portuguese though I won’t be an overachiever and go beyond the basics in Portuguese - being from the United States and knowing more than two languages might scare someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment