Monday, December 28, 2009

The circus lives!

October 24th, 2009: I went to the circus in Popayan tonight, warning my friend Martha that circuses are not what the use to be and that it will more than likely be entertaining due to how bad the shows are, not good. I was so…wrong. Some of the shows were amazing not to mention unbelievable. As others, I am not sure what word or words would describe it. Such as the act where a scantily dress woman would squat over a happy volunteer’s face in her little skirt rocking her hips in a motion that is usually done in a back sit of a car as he laid on his back with the young children watching – which was incredible that they could perform this show without parents creating an uproar.

There was a performance that a motorcycle rider would go quickly around in an enclosed metal hamster ball containing a man with zero brain cells standing there in the center. They should have given him a cigarette and a blind fold but he had nothing…as I previously said, not even a brain cell. To make it more exciting, later in the act the man exited the ball and they brought in another motorcycle. The motorcycles engines mechanical screams masked the screams that came from the audience. I forgot to breathe – it was that exciting.

I am always looking for some good photo ops, but not today…I knew that the slightest mistake in some of these acts would have been resulted in a seriously injured circus employee who made me once again believe that the circus can still be the, “Greatest Show on Earth.”

During one of the clown acts the speakers in the background were putting out some uncensored music from Too Short, teaching the fine young kiddies how to pronounce the necessary street terminology school kids are taught in Oakland, California…such as the words shit, bitch, pussy and some other fine obscenities. I was looking around to see if anyone else was realizing what was being said but everyone seemed oblivious to the vulgar language as I laughed.

Originally I wanted to see the lion show but after watching them perform…I no longer want to witness another one. They looked so sad as the animal beater was cracking his whip – he doesn’t hold the right to be called an animal trainer. It would have been enjoyable to see some upcoming footage for the TV series, “When good animals go bad” but it didn’t ended up not happening…tonight.

After today’s shows I have complete faith that the circus is not dead and shall continue to live with performances such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment