Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Altercation with a hostel manager

September 30th, 2009: I had an opportunity to speak to a hostel manager today. Perhaps she was having a bad week, year or even life. Maybe this explains why she is alone. Her physical appearance can’t be criticized since it was her parents fault for recklessly bumping uglys’ but her internal ugliness is her own doing. This altercation stemmed from being charged a room rate for two people. They wanted to charge me for a friend who was at that moment thousands of feet in the air on an iron bird flying back to the United States from Quito which she arrived at the day before.

The housekeeper, who was clearly mistaken, claimed that she saw my friend leave my room the morning in question. The manager asked me what does she supposes to do, when she is being told her employee saw her. Her voice became elevated as she began using ghetto like gangster gestures momentarily throwing me off guard since I am on the Galapagos Islands, not Compton, California. Translating what she told me, I wanted to verify what she was saying. Asking the manager if she was calling me a liar…she paused for a brief moment…and said,”yes.”

Ten dollars seems like a really small amount but it was that she didn’t believe me and accused me for being a liar - I am not claiming that I am a saint or that I never lie. Not to mention $10.00 could cover a future room night or even a payment in full for woman to tell me, “Me love you long time” (Full Metal Jacket). Her mother happened to overhear our conversation and thankfully stepped in to help settle my bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment