Sunday, July 10, 2011

Can a terd freeze in your intestines…

July 5, 2011: Can a terd freeze in your intestines while still alive? This is the thought that came across my mind as I sat in the coldest room to date on my South American adventures. When you can blow smoke in your very own room without having to light anything legal or illegal, you can safely say that it is…cold. You would expect this in Antarctica, but not in Paraguay.

I ask the man at the reception desk for a heater - a word that I even looked up to make sure I didn’t mess my request up. He responded, shaking his head up and down, saying something I did not quite understand…but, the up and down motion he made was the international sign for, “yes”. Looking up the word “blanket” just to make sure he didn’t say, “blanket,” it assured me that the word I didn’t understand was definitely not, “blanket”. When he came and knocked at my door about 20 minutes later, I held in a massive hit of cold air…opening the door…standing there, he was holding a big stack of…”more blankets.”

The local coffee shop ended being my emergency shelter during my visit to Encarnacion. I officially thank them that I will not yet be an amputee prematurely due to frostbite.

No comments:

Post a Comment