Saturday, October 2, 2010

Aint no trapping me foo

September 26th, 2010: Getting dropped off at the end of the van drivers route as I returned from deep inside the national park, he told me I would have to say in town for the night (if a few buildings makes itself able to call itself a town) and that there was no transport out until the morning.

For starters, I don’t enjoy feeling trapped. So being in a town, in which someone who I don’t believe (taxi driver and van driver fits into the same category – thief on wheels) tells me I am unable to leave…didn’t go over well with me.

Secondly I didn’t bring…my toothbrush. As for showering, that didn’t matter much since the house I was staying only had water in the morning. Yes, I would have rather stayed at a hostel, hotel or even the town jail but since the towns 2 hotels were full with 3 – perhaps 4 people due to being the 2nd Annual Piano festival, this guy saved me and let me stay at his house for a fair price.

Walking down the small road I stood on the side of the main road and began to work. After about an hour of flagging down wrong cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles and anything else with wheels and a headlight, at about 9:30pm I was finally picked up. Almost freezing from the hurricane like cold gales of wind on the side of the dark road, the shared taxi that stopped had space in the back of his station wagon who already had 7 people in a car that is made for 5 – now making it 9 after including me and the guy who was sitting off in the grassy side of the road who was wrapped in a blanket ball (I could see that he has done this plenty of times before - making me do all the work).

While heading to town in the small confines of the station wagon, me and the other guy had to perform the fetal position around a bunch of bags that only a baby could do better (you see, babies are more flexible).

During the drive it seemed as if I went into a time warp as I looked up at the billions of beautiful starts that spattered the sky. I truly felt as if I was taken back into time when I was a wee little kid again looking out the back window sitting in the family station wagon (it could have been the Blazer), feeling as if my brother Joe was right next to me. It was a great, but sad moment somehow magically braided into one another.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think it would be great to have all of you kids small again and doing our camping thing up north. At least I would know where you were at and what you were doing. smile.

    ReplyDelete