Monday, May 17, 2010

The Medellin StairMaster

May 17th, 2010: Why go to a gym to wait in line behind sweaty overweight women in tight spandex supporting a major camel toe to workout on the StairMaster when you can simply go on the Medellin StairMaster, have no lines, much more pleasant views and not even have to pay a membership fee?

Today I visited one of the low income to no income areas on the hillside of Medellin and even had 3 other white folk join my group. While walking up the hills of the barrio, I had to wonder if it was safer to travel in a group or alone. Yes, I don't blend in very well here...I am too tall and my clothes some how make me stand out since I don't have rhinestones pasted on my shirts and my nose is a bit too pointy...but, when you have 4 of us walking and talking in english, it is a sure give away that you don't belong.

While walking up the endless stairs weaving through the houses made of brick, metal, plastic and random wooden material we would hear random words of English being shot out at us from the houses or the streets by the verbal snipers saying such things as, "hello" or "how are you?". The poverty stricken houses were amazingly beautiful - as long as the big bad wolf didn't come to blow some houses down. Some individuals would even follow us wanting to say something but to scared to until they built up enough strength and leak a few words of english out. This is why my spanish is so bad...local people seem to want to practice speaking english...not spanish, but english. I have a feeling they don't see to many tourists up in the hills around their houses.

The only thing I lost today was a lot of calories as I struggled with the drastic elevation change of each step. While the others walked quickly ahead...I ran into a guy and spoke to him and his daughter that lived in one of these amazing houses. I briefly thought, perhaps he knows someone who would like to rent me a room made of plastic, wood or some other creative material for a few days. I am interested on what goes on at night...perhaps this would explain all the military that is situated on this hillside with their automatic weapons. When walking through...it seemed beautiful to me, why would there be a need for such a strong presence of force? Hmm. I would like to find out, but I must seriously start thinking about moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment