Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The 8 Standardized Backpackers Questions

May 25th, 2010: Leaving Medellin 2.4505056 days ago, I took a 4.55505059 hour bus ride to Manizales which is a city in the coffee region of Colombia. I am once again a backpacker. Well, I have always been...it is just that I am now back in the hostel in the early evening instead of staying till the wee hours of the night at my friends house. Best of all...now I get to answer the 8 standardized backpacker questions list multiple times throughout the night typically within the first 2 minutes of meeting someone, over and over again.

Here are some sample questions (Q) with my typical answers (A). I think I got most of them. Don´t let me fool you, The reason I know them so well is that I also find myself going off this list from time to time.


Q1: What is your name?
A1: El Tony Taco, Anthony, Miguel Antonio or simply...Tony.
Q2: Where did you come from?
A2: Whatever city I just visited, today my response was Medellin.
Q3: Where are you from?
A3: California.
Q4: How long have you been traveling for?
A4: A little bit - if they ask again...I will say over 13 months.
Q5: Where have you been?
A5: Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and Trinidad for Carnival.
Q6: Where are you going next?
A6: South.
Q7: How much longer are you traveling for?
A7:Dont know...perhaps I will be like Forrest Gump, running and running until one day, I just stop.
Q8: What did you do back at home?
A8: I was an auditor at an accounting firm.

It doesn't matter what language the person asks me speaks, this questions are all known in English. If someone only knows has 10 questions in their entire vocabulary, it would be these 9 questions with...Q10: Where is the bathroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment