Saturday, September 18, 2010

Partial electrocution at the shower

September 15th, 2010: As I was doing my daily scrub down in the shower…I spent a moment thinking about why there was some type of strange material which was wrapped and barbarically taped around the water knob. It didn’t take me long to figure it out as I was trying to squeeze out a little bit more hot water from the electric contraption heating the water with the exposed wires coming out from the top, feeling the friendly electric grip take control of my hand when I grabbed the knob – still feeling the aftermath as I sit here typing. Strangely, I had the biggest smile on my face right after it happened and even a little laugh seeped out my lips.

It FINALLY happened I thought. Everyone seems to get shocked while traveling and for about 17 months, I had not one recordable experience. In the past I could have stood on a chair and stuck my tongue on the exposed wires and still not have been shocked – I thought the only reasoning behind this was that my parents must have been praying for me a bit too much. They must have forgotten about me the other day or this was just a reminder that I am not Ironman, Superman or even Spiderman.

When it was time to adjust the temperature again I stood to the side out of the waters path as the biggest smile on my face exposed itself again as I hesitantly touched the knob anticipating another bite, but received nothing but being rewarded with hotter water.

This partial electrocution could have been my punishment that was issued by the hotels internal spirit because about 10 minutes prior to the event, I moved a huge stinky rotting vegetable that was next to my door which was accommodating about 1,000,000,000 vegetable flies that had been consuming it all day, relocating the sloppy mess it as it spewed a trail all of the floor as I dropped it closer to the front desk – this was after my first failed attempt as I pushed it with my foot a few doors down along with the miniature bag of trash…later realizing I didn’t move it far enough and that it was still too close to my room.

I don’t think the two women who I asked earlier if they could removed it heard me “very well” but the man that worked at the hotel must have seen me “very well” as dropped it, smiling, telling him to have in good night in my handicapped Spanish walking back to my room.

Normally I wouldn’t have done anything…but when you are paying $4.93USD a night for your own room, you expect more – laughing. I am not going to survive when I finish my trip and head back to the United States. I will need an adjustment period – no dating, no eating out, no leaving the house even – it might put me into a comma from the sticker shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment