Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bribing the Bolivian police…got me into prison

September 11th, 2010: Some people in Bolivia bribe police and judges to get out of prison…today, bribing the Bolivian police got me into prison. After reading the book, Marching Powder, by Thomas McFadden and Rusty Young about living in a 3rd world prison, I wanted to see what it was all about…first hand.

This morning I was determined to get into San Pedro Prison. Hearing that the police stopped taking bribes a few months ago while I was in Colombia, I accepted that my money will not be put to good use corrupting law abiding police officers. But while in Colca Canyon, Peru, I heard from a tourist that they are again letting backpackers in. They told me that I needed to go to the Plaza across from the Prison and this is where someone will meet me, asking me if I want a tour.

A few days ago I did this but nothing happened…but today was different. A woman approached me asking me if I wanted to go inside – my friends from Colca Canyon were right. Going into the entrance I was directed away from the others into a small office paying the lady where a police officer sat behind a tiny desk. Another officer came in to search me and my shoulder bag, making sure I didn’t have a camera or anything that I don’t suppose to be bringing in like such as WMD or IED’s. Once she was finished, I forgot that I had a knife in my little side pocket. Pulling it out…I handed it to woman that just searched me.

Getting a number written on my arm to identify who I was, I was only moments away from getting into prison. Being send out next to the iron bars that separated me from the inmates in the courtyard, the women I was dealing with set me up with a guide inside. When the time was right, the gate quickly opened and there I was…now in one of the strangest prisons where money will get you almost anything.

Here my tour began and I was taken around the prison with 4 other tourist that arrived later. Our guide was one of the prisoners and we had 3 bodyguards who were also prisoners…totaling 2 murders and 2 people that were in there for drug related charges.

The prisoners here are not in cells…the murders, drug offenders, thieves, rapists and the individual with too many parking tickets moved around freely between the 7 sections (sort of like a suburb) from during the day from 6am – 10pm. At this time they have to go to their sections but still they are not locked up. They have to purchase or rent their cell…the more money you have the better section you live in. Kids and wives also live here and can freely come and go…if you have the money.

There are even restaurants and shops that the prisoners set up to make a living. Seeing some of the rooms with beds bunked up for those who don’t have enough money for a private cell, it sort of looked like a hostel – some even better than I stayed at during my travels. They can have visitors spend the night for about $0.75 a night. Not bad, if you have a girlfriend.

My visit to San Pedro really didn’t feel like a prison…it felt more like a small South American village. Working with a federal prison in California, I thought they had it made in what some Americans call a “Country Club” with all of the luxuries they have. If they only knew about San Pedro…

During this tour I realized that not much changed since the book came out which exposed the corruption of the prison system. I was amazed that when my guide told me…he told me…he told me, nothing because “What happens in San Pedro Prison stays in San Pedro Prison.” Not for my benefit, but more so for the safety of my guide.

It is scary on what money can drive people to do at all levels…from the street criminal to the people that are supposed to enforce the law. This morning, I bribed my way into a prison system and I am so happy that I didn’t have to bribe my way out. I am sure it is much easier to always get yourself in…than to get yourself out.

1 comment:

  1. ok YOU with the shock value blog post titles! both of the last two titles gave me a slight worry! you sure have a way w them words, anthony!
    xo
    elise

    ReplyDelete