Friday, November 4, 2011

For 20 minute …me give you good time

November 4, 2011:  I didn’t think money could buy happiness…but today, it bought 20 minutes of short-term happiness.  I went hang gliding for my first time and it was an amazing bird-like experience.  Running off a wooden platform from a mountain, the air captured us and held us suspended in the sky overlooking the beauty of Rio, from the favelas to the beaches.  It was a surreal moment with my smile stuck onto my face like a detachable smile from the plastic toy, Mr. Potato Head…not moving. 

I needed to fill out a waver before sprinting off the cliff and I was asked about my blood type.  I am A+, or is it an A-?  Maybe I am B something?  If I need blood one day, I guess I could run into a problem giving them the wrong number.  It is sort of like the different types of motor oil I suppose.
After the hang gliding I felt like I could do anything – I did just run off a cliff and fly like a bird.  Still on my high, I thought I would explore the largest favela in South America on my own.  Not extremely smart from a potential insurance claim standpoint if I happened to get my camera or kindle stolen.
I did take some precautions, transferring my memory stick in my camera into a scrap piece of paper placing it into a pocket, them my credit card into a different pocket and finally I dispersed my cash into other pockets – yes, I have a lot of pockets on these pants.
I thought maybe, just maybe, I would look like a rare white local and blend in.  Sitting off to the side eating a pastel as I watch people go about their daily lives.  A little thugster not even 18 seconds later passes by staring at me with a big smile and gives me a big thumbs up.  Okay, either my clothes make me stand completely out or maybe there is just no such thing as a white local living in these favelas.

No comments:

Post a Comment