Monday, January 9, 2012

The sounds and actions of a madman

January 9, 2012:  I am now in Pipa - amazing Pipa. I traveled to this town because I read that the dolphins swim near the coast here during low tide making it possible to swim with these grey wonders.  I was so excited when I arrived at my hostel last evening, knowing that today I was going to possibly swim with some wild dolphins.  At night, I even dreamt of not just touching a dolphin, but holding one in my arms like a baby, petting its belly as I stood in the water - what a dream that was.

After a 15 minute walk along the beach, I turned the corner after a rocky cliff to the area that they are commonly seen and I saw…nothing.  I was ready to spend as many days it was necessary to swim with the dolphins.  Seeing a fin rise and fall I dropped my gear, as I ran into the cold water hoping that the dolphin was going to swim near me.  

The dolphins sometimes would catch a wave darting forward as it would attempt to catch a fish or just ride the tube to just show off a bit I suppose.  After missing every photo when the dolphin would raise its head, I eventually just put my camera away giving up on my futile attempts for a Kodak moment. 
Being so close to the dolphins was great but I wanted them closer to me.  I remembered when swimming with dolphins in New Zealand many years ago, the company I was with told us that dolphins are curious animals and if we made these funny noises in the water you might be able to draw their attention to you.  So there I was, making these noises in the water and splashing around as the other 16 people near me stood silent, looking in my direction and probably thinking I was a madman.

No comments:

Post a Comment