Wednesday, January 11, 2012

If I could just be a doctor, married to a golddigger…

January 11, 2012:  While studying Spanish on my Kindle (e-book reader), 3 boys approached me and wanted to see what it was.  I let them push some buttons and test the durability of the keys from the great force the put behind each push.  With over 5 hours till my next bus to Jericoacoara, I had an ample amount of time to try to teach them Spanish and a little bit of English while they helped me with my Portuguese.

We talked about cartoons such as Cars, superheroes and animals - things that a 4 year old and two 8 year olds would enjoy no matter what country you’re from.  One of the boys, who I was staring at earlier, was burnt so badly at some point in his life.  His mother kept a bandage on his nonfunctional hand while his face showed some scaring along with his leg that looked as if it was out of some Hollywood horror film.

If I could just be a doctor, married to a golddigger and able to create miracles, I would have loved to have given him the surgeries it would take to make his hand functional again and to minimize the residuals of a horrific burn.  Instead, I am just a mangy backpacker.  None of the jobs I have performed in my life has really helped anyone so I ask myself this…”what have I brought to this world?”  I guess this is what people think about when they approach 40 or on their death bed - I would like to think it is the first of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment