Thursday, January 12, 2012

Feet with no Borders

January 12, 2012:  After all the hours that I logged on various land shuttles that I have taken from one distant station to the other, my trip to Jerioacoara was by far the most unusual one.  At one point, I thought that I was being filmed by a Brazilian TV show, but with nobody approaching to tell me I was set up, I just figured that I was lucky to have front row entertainment.

Moments after taking my seat in the bus, I overheard the conductor having a “tough man talk” with the guy behind me, thinking that perhaps he was impaired due to something he consumed or mentally challenged.

Not even 20 minutes after departing the bus station, a foot came thru the space along the window next to my face and another foot plopped on me from above, as he chatted away on his phone.  From my gentle requests, shakes, squeezes and pushes to move his feet….nothing seemed to faze this man’s conversation on the phone - until I rotated his foot to the point it resembled the neck of an owl.

This was my first of many interactions with the man throughout the night - all dealing with his feet that seemed to have no borders.  At one point he became such a disturbance that the conductor eventually came up from the depths of the bus to the second floor to sit with him for a while before going back down to keep the driver awake.
When sleeping, I was abruptly awaken with the man now towering over me, possessed and speaking in tongues as he then tried to scale my chair coming over the top of me.  I was able to push him back into his chair as I could not stop think how unbelievable this was.  When he was done climbing my seat he obviously wasn’t done making this an unforgettable experience for me.  He now showed his great ability to pull off long draw out world record breaking farts laughing as a child after each and every wet one.  This had almost the entire bus laughing - encouraging the man in his 40’s to continue his childhood antics. 

Eventually the conductor said it was too much and came up to take the man down to the first floor of the bus to sit with him and the driver.  The harmless man looked so sad, as if he was being sent off to detention.  During this whole trip, I could not get the smile off my face on what was going on. What are the odds of me ever getting a more entertaining bus ride?

1 comment: