Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A visit to a local penitentiary for Senior Citizens

April 22, 2011: I paid a visit to a past neighbor of mine who was convicted of being "old" and is now residing at a senior penitentiary serving life without payroll. It cannot be appealed…guilty she is. When you are immobile and in the 80’s, you can’t claim innocence and this she doesn’t do, accepting full responsibly for her minds lack of control over her the movements of her body that has unjustly gone on strike.

When entering the facility, I passed a multitude of breathing corpses…some more coherent than others. I can still hear the phlegm filled coughs and curdling heart beating screams. A large amount of the prisoners seemed to have a lack of neck muscles, preventing them to look at nothing more than their Velcro shoes and enlarged muffin tops as their heads hang down from their neck.

For some, they dream of a visit from loved ones. For others…it is a visit from Death in which they patiently wait. Sadly, they seem to be forgotten about by both. When a lot of us spend our whole lives running from Death and even those who love us, at this age a visit from either one would seem to be a blessing.

I don’t want to get old and I know that there is no way to avoid it. But, when I do get to a nice ripe ole age…I hope my memory mirrors a goldfish as I swim around from one end of my cell-like room to other end forgetting what I see every lap.

Please note: Photo of the old crusty woman was pulled from redreporter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment