Thursday, February 3, 2011

National Geographic photo shoot with a disposable camera

February 2, 2011: Today I was able to see the Perito Moreno Glacier via boat, bus and by my very own two 12 inch flat feet as I walked on the boardwalk of unbelievable web-like proportions. Observing what I could only have dreamt or watched on the National Geographic Channel in the past…I was so close to this huge-chunkus glacier, which according to Wikipedia is 30 km (19 mi) long, 5 km (3 mi) wide and 74 meters (240 ft) above the water with a total ice depth of 170 meters (558 ft).

When a section of ice would pull itself free from the glacier, it would do a spectacular cannonball like dive into the frigid water sending water shooting up to great heights disappearing before eventually resurfacing as it would come up for air. This was so unbelievably dream-like; it would cause my legs to shake – though I can only speculate that my shaky legs were the result of my eyes seeing something so surreal, that my body did not know how to react. Thankfully for me, my body didn’t decide to cry a river so I will not complain about my leg shake - though if compromised…can easily be covered up by a nice little lie by saying that I was cold.

Today, I truly felt as if I was right on a National Geographic photo shoot with my disposable camera slung around my neck. Photo or no photo…it was one of the greatest shows on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment