Monday, February 14, 2011

Anthony Supertramp / Beaver Hunter

February 13th, 2011: Today I set off in Terra del Fuego National Park with a goal. My goal was to see a nice wet destructive furry North American Beaver. After about 5 hours of hiking I reached the Hoover dam of Beavers. I made myself a comfortable placement along its side and was ready to wait all day until a visual sighting.

After about 30 minute of patiently waiting with my camera along my side, ready to take a shot of a beaver as soon as it surfaced for some air, or better yet…watch its tail in action, back tailing her loved one who might have given her some lip – in this case, given her some teeth - laughing...I can think/write of the most supudist things.

Thinking about my positioning and lighting, I was reconsidering if I was in a good spot...until I thankfully overheard a tour guide’s spiel stating that beavers are...nocturnal. Being only 3 pm, I was not wanting to believe him so I stayed a little bit longer, hoping there was an insomniac beaver or even a workaholic so that I could still see one of them. I even tried to telepathically ask a beaver to show herself - obviously not working.

Leaving the park today I was unable to see a North American beaver here in South America. With better timing, a little work and a smidgen of luck, perhaps the next time I go beaver hunting, I will score some…photos. With some persistence and some good timing, the odds will hopefully be in my favor.

1 comment: