Monday, February 7, 2011

The great peaks of El Chalten and my roommates…Ms. Peaks

February 6th, 2011: Walking into my 6 bed dorm at precisely 4:47pm after a long day of tramping around and taking photos of the numerous spectacular peaks that horseshoe the town of El Chalten…I overheard two girls whispering on the bottom bunk on the other side of the dorm. It sounded as if they were having a serious talk - thinking that girls are funny that when they have problems how they can just lay in single bed with each other just chatting away…if guys do something like that, you are gay.

Tired and not being in a social mood to talk to the two girls from Berkeley (California), I dug out my backpack from my locker, preparing for an exciting time of giving my backpack an abortion so that I can close it – yes, my backpack somehow got to be pregnant again. Hearing one of the girls asking me a question, I looked over to answer her - I was taken by surprise.

There she laid in bed naked with her arms behind her head exposing her peaks with a sheet covering only her shrubbery with another naked girl who supported hairy armpits next to her side - but she was fully blanketed. No, I don’t have Superman or TSA supervision to see through the sheets…Ms. Pits changed in front of me yesterday as we went over the basic dreaded backpacker questions with a topless twist on what is my name, where I am from, how long I have been traveling for, shoe size – blah, blah and blah.

Turning back around after I did a double, triple, and a quadruple take as I tried to bit on my inner checks to keep from smiling and to not laugh. What do I do to get myself into these strange hostel predicaments? - this can’t be happening…it just can’t be. What I walked in on was not just a casual conversation about a new design (god forbid) or knot used for their hippy bracelets/necklaces they must secretly sell on the side. What was taking place right before my ears was what lesbians MUST do better than guys after sex…talk. I should have listened to this conversation of theirs so that I could have picked up some pointers - instead of just asking the typical backpacker questions…what is your name, etc – laughing.

Ms. Peaks continued to talk to me as I leaned against a bed on the floor with my back turned as I multitasked, continuing to go through with my backpacks abortion. It seemed strange talking to them with my back turned, so every so often I would turn around and try to look at the girl with hairy armpits in the eye…I had some success. Then I would turn back around right before I couldn’t hold a straight face any longer. Ms. Peaks said I must have seen a lot while traveling as long as I did. I agreed and wanted to say that what I am seeing now might have been the weirdest, but I refrained.

Not finished, I zipped my backpack, deciding that it was time for me to take a well needed shower, so that they can finish…talking. I wasn’t even sure if I should have taken a shower so soon after our conversation because I didn’t want them to think it was because of them…but at this point, it didn’t seem to matter.

Dorm life…today was filled with peaks and adventure outside and inside my dorm. Traveling has a tendency to hand you stories without the need to even search for them…they seem to just happen at the weirdest times and places.

No comments:

Post a Comment