Monday, February 14, 2011

I predict a major boating accident in Antarctica…

February 14th, 2011: “Is there a photo of the Explorer?” I asked the travel consultant. Quickly looking up from her computer she fires off, “Don’t let them hear you say that.”

You see, I mistakenly asked for a ship that is no longer...in use, by GAP Adventures (the company I am I will soon be traveling with) thinking that the Explorer was the name of the ship I am going on - when it is actually the Expedition. Until November 17th, 2007 at 1900 hours, this ship no longer belonged to GAP Adventures, since at this time in submarine fashion it dived off the coast of Antarctica and parked itself at the bottom at a frigid depth of 1130 meters after hitting some less forgiving ice – making the insurance company its proud new owners.

I enjoy being reminded about things like this...30 hours prior to my departure on my 10 day expedition to Antarctica - it certainly makes things more exciting. But unfortunately, something extraordinary like this is unlikely to happen to me. My reasoning is quite simple…my parents pray for me too much.

I was just recently stripped of experiencing “Mr. Ferry meet Mr. Island” at 3am as the Navimag’s hull was torn during their introduction…taking in water, it created a delay on getting to Puerto Natales on its scheduled time. If I waited until just the next departure (7 days later), I would have been able to dawn my life vest awaiting for the signal to abandon ship creating a lifetime of better ferry stories besides my post about “Thong Girl.”

In addition to this boating mishap, I was about 2 weeks off when I was in the Galapagos Islands to experience the exciting emergency exit in the wee hours of the morning as the Comorant II (a different boat than what I was on) broke into pieces, sinking right after everyone was saved.

On this trip of mine to South America I have seemed to miss some rare sinking’s or boating accidents by just 2 weeks or less. With this said…I predict a major boating accident in Antarctica to happen in the next few weeks, but not involving me - that is unless, I kindly ask my parents to kindly cut down on the prayer.

*Photos: Explorer (Wikipedia), Navimag (La Prensa Austral) and the Comorant II (Sangay Touring)

No comments:

Post a Comment