Monday, December 5, 2011

Drive by shooting in Brasilia

December 4, 2011:  Is there such a thing as a city having too much grass?  I always thought not since once a park is gone and a building takes its place, there is no getting it back.  But after my visit to Brasilia…I might have to rethink that thought.

Brasilia is the Federal Capital of Brazil that was created in the 60’s from scratch, taking a mere 41 months to build.  Since most of the interesting buildings are thousands upon thousands of big steps apart for me and 3 times that for someone who is vertically challenged, it was suggested by my friends that I take a tour bus.  Seeing a double-decker tour bus rolling around an empty parking lot, I paid the guide some money and that was all it took to become an official member for the next 2 hours, 3 minutes and 46 seconds. 

The speakers on the bus that pumped out factual recordings between stops could have put someone with insomnia asleep in 10 seconds flat.  Given about 6 - 15 minutes at each point of interest, we raced around Brasilia to take as many brainless photos as we possibly could in the limited amount of time given.  For the interesting spots passed without stopping, we would dash from side to side of the bus, hanging our cameras out the window, quickly shooting up the places as if we were doing a drive by shooting.
By the end of the tour I was showing signs of dehydration due to the unexpected mid-afternoon workout that entailed window to window sprints and stair climbers for every time I entered and exited the double-decker bus.  I knew that it was important to get hydrated as quickly as possible before intravenous fluid replacement at a hospital became an expensive necessity.  Lucky for me, we just so happened to be dropped off near a Burger King when the tour was over. 
Even though I am 108% against fast-food restaurants, Burger King is the only fast-food restaurant in South America that I am aware of that has free refills for up to 30 minutes after your purchase - so this was obviously the best choice for my health and well being.  In 30 minutes I downed 5 cups of soda looking as if I was an alcoholic stepping off the wagon – but in my case…a sodaholic stepping off the wagon.

For some very very very strange reason, it seemed that I had a problem with dehydration my entire trip in Brasilia, trying to visit Burger King at least once a day to help me maintain my fluids.  I would like to thank you Burger King for being there when I needed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment