Wednesday, January 5, 2011

7.1 earthquake from the comforts of my vibrating bed

January 2nd, 2010: This was by far the biggest quake I have yet to be in and it was a spectacular show. A much better show than the New Year fireworks and much better thing to experience than the canopying (South America’s longest), the scenic hikes in Huerquehue National Park or the dead horses I rode the past few days. It is not that these experiences were bad…they were also great but I have always been a great fan of the uncontrollable forces of our planet and today, I enjoyed an earthquake as it woke me up from the middle of my late “justifiable” afternoon siesta.

After being woken up by the back and forth motion of my vibrating bed, it took me a second to realize that I wasn’t at a hotel who’s rates were set by the hour and that it didn’t take a quarter or another person to get my bed into full motion. It didn’t stop after a high school like performance; it went on for at least a good sized preview of what is going to happen in 2012 – if you actually believe Hollywood, Bollywood and the ancient people without computers.

Laying there while I was enjoying what was going on as I was nice and cozy underneath the blankets…the quake seemed to be showing off for its endurance. Being on the second floor at this small town hotel the building began swaying more and more. Then I began to think…if it is time to go somewhere perhaps a little safer or if I should I just ride it out…in bed? So, the decision was made and I decided that, there is nothing like…a 7.1 earthquake from the comforts of my vibrating bed. I sure do love Chile.

3 comments:

  1. Dad…I love Chile the country…not the chile you eat and it has nothing to do with the temperature of the weather - laughing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holey crap Tony. That is some scary stuff... No thank you. And to think we have just little ones here that shake the house are bad. 7.1 is pretty bad. You are a brave man to be doing all of the traveling that you do. Glad that you are ok though..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mrs. Plante...you are so right. I am a very very very very brave man but you forgot to say I am a very strong man too. That is okay...you are forgiven. ;)

    ReplyDelete