Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mullet Men and donuts

September 17, 2011: If I could only get enough courage to grow a stylish mullet…I would seamlessly blend into this cracker dominant westernized city. Though the color of my skin camouflages me, it is what I do and the noises that exit my mouth that makes me stand out.

The weather has been warming up enough here so that I can finally enjoy the beaches while only supporting a polyester t-shirt and a 100 weight polar fleece that accompanies my thick 300 weight mountaineering fleece.

I seem to have indivertibly become a sand collector while people/dog watching. Sand has an amazing method to make its way back to my hostel or friends house by any means possible. From hiding in my shoes, head stubble to jumping in any and all cracks and holes – it makes it almost impossible to fulfill the tree huggers’ motto “Take only photographs, leave only footprints.” Can the Sierra Club or some other grass roots organization make a clause, stating that taking sand from a public beach is permissible if not purposely done?

A few week ago, in a miniature cement parking lot between the strip of high-rise apartments and sand, I observed a reenactment of the film Mad Max starring the Uruguayan mullets with their taped/glued up motorbikes and black matte cars. One man was showing his inability to not be able do a complete donut in the parking lot as individuals volunteered their friends, loved ones, parents and children to become buffers to prevent any cars from being scratched if it happens to plow into another.

Perhaps the mullet man in the car should consider selling some of that hair from the back of his mullet to some organization that makes wigs for cancer patients or cross dressers so he could put some needed money into the performance of his engine so he can get all the way around, completing the donut. An exhaust system wouldn’t be a bad idea either, to lower the output of decibels so that he doesn’t overpower the sound of men who play dress up on their Harley Davidson’s or kids on their obnoxiously loud mopeds.

Please note: Mad Max car photo pulled from cartown.com

No comments:

Post a Comment