Thursday, March 17, 2011

1st day in the US…and I run into a crazy bug eyed rosary carrying psycho

March 4th, 2011: 1st day in the US and I run into a crazy bug eyed rosary carrying psycho with my 15 year old nephew. I had to laugh as I sat there at the ice cream shop consuming a Superman ice cream cone hoping that this cone did not just taste good but had the ability to transform me into Superman – that is, the Superman before he took a spill on a horse made from kryptonite.

With my nephew who was facing me in the booth, the man in the booth behind him with his eyes bearing a strange resemblance of a bug who was angrily staring at me, mumbling words of profanity as he held the rosary – not sure if he was cursing at it or praying to it asking the Virgin Mary for the strength not to kill this frail looking man across from him. Scooting over so my 5’11” nephew would screen me from bug eye’s face, he would then scoot over so that he could continue to try to get me into participating in a starring match that I was uninterested in playing.

After 22 or so months with only minor difficulties in South America, I felt that today was going to be the day that I was going to fight a crazy man that was much bigger than me with my nephew there to watch. In my mind I scanned the ice cream shop looking for other that might be able to help me after I restrained him. Seeing 3 grey hairs and a work staff that consisted of a batch of unbutchy women, I came to the conclusion that I was going to be holding on to him for a while till the police arrived.

Thankfully, he went to the restroom to perhaps toss some water in his unblinking eyes and that was when I told my nephew that we should go, not wanting to go into detail on what has been going on behind his back the entire time. Leaving the ice cream shop, we escaped any possible confrontation on my 1st day back in the United States – though it would have been funny for something dramatic to take place now, when I pushed the so called envelope this entire trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment