Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Over the top

August 10th, 2009: Feeling the need…for speed (some famous movie quote), I was cruising on a perfectly functioning mountain bike down a perfectly constructed paved road leading to the Jungle. Looking back over my shoulder for any potential cars that might be approaching me…I swerved ever so slightly off the main road for a brief second, going on the algae covered water runoff drain that ran parallel with the road. My front tire quickly buckling underneath me - time slowed down but not enough for me to be able to make any choices. My arms instinctively flew out in front of me, only having enough time to protect my left and right nipple. Somehow, I turned my head to the side and pulled my chin tightly into my neck…denying myself a prime opportunity to make out with the pavement as my head smacked the concrete.

Embarrassed, I quickly rose from the cement and attempted to get back on the bike. Feeling as if I had a much too many beers, I couldn’t ride the bike. When the cars down the road slowly passed by me, I looked away just in case they saw what just happened. Blood dripped down my skinned palms and knuckles from when my body slammed onto the concrete. My head was throbbing and throat hurt from imbedding my chin into it. Wearing a helmet that properly fit was the key to gradually making it back on the bike. Wondering if I had a concussion, I didn’t immediately vomit or form a speech impediment…which for starters, was a good sign. Thankfully, as for the rest of my body, I was wearing so many layers of clothes it provided me with a nice cushion upon impact.

Turning my bike in…the lady noticed the blood on my hands. Seeming concerned, she asked me if I was okay. I told her I was fine, saying that I scraped it falling off a rock at the waterfalls…not wanting her to worry about calculating the astronomical costs for the cosmetic damage I did and did not do to the bike. I thought since I saw no major visible damage…there was no reason to make her work too hard – it was a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment