Monday, September 21, 2009

Backpack almost ready to give birth

August 17th, 2009: My backpack is pregnant and it is about to give birth. I started this trip with a bag that was in its second trimester. Now…after 4 months of traveling, it has expanded at almost the same rate of a woman’s belly during pregnancy. When carrying my backpack, I am even experience similar difficulties of a pregnant woman such as having troubles standing up, back pain, moodiness and not wanting to walk too far. Though, unlike a woman…I have a choice to abort this excess baggage anytime I choose, even during the end of my third trimester. No trusty metal hanger or shop vac needed…just a simple plastic bag.

Having options…I have scraped all of my potentially disposable items to see how much smaller I can actually make the backpack. It ended up being about the size of two healthy twins. I can now pick up my pack without having to wear a lifting belt or letting out a somewhat entertaining grunt. It’s feels liberating, but…can I go through with it? Since my friend is visiting me from back home…I might wait for my bag to give birth and hand off my responsibility to her. As I type, I look over at the…twins. They somehow look at me as if it has a conscience, whimpering, questioning my decision. You know what? I think I need some sleep.

(I officially threw out in total…four receipts and a map of some random park. I now have the twins in a plastic bag which now clearly represents the placenta. Impatiently, I wait for my friend’s visit in 24 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment