Saturday, March 17, 2012

It has an engine, a tail, two wings and it flies...

 
March 17, 2012:  It has an engine, a tail, two wings and it flies…so technically it is a plane but metaphorically it was shight.  When it was my turn to board the plane for the one hour flight to Kaieteur Falls, the only available seat happened to be right next to our yellow toothed pilot.  Unfortunately…Unfortunately, I had no other choice but to sit up in front with the pilot.  Just because I look like a full grown adult on the outside doesn’t mean that I can’t feel like a full grown kid on the inside, as I sat behind the controls of the plane with a good sized smile.  “Why haven’t I ever requested the front seat before?” I thought.  For my future flights with Delta Airlines, I will have to make sure that when I do online check-in, to click on and to reserve the seat next to the pilot. Yes, there may not be as much leg room as the other seats on the plane…but, I will deal with it.

The highway in the sky today took us though a canyon and above the narrow rivers that snake through the ocean of trees, which resembled the entire 20 different colors of green crayons that Crayola has in its extensive product line.  Looking out the large and plentiful windows that surround the cabin of the small plane, made me feel more connected to the sky than the typical aluminum cloudlike passenger planes, with the front loading washing machine like windows.
Kaieteur Falls is one of those places I have never heard about until I started traveling around South America.  Travel guides and Guyana’s tourism offices boast that Kaieteur Falls it is the largest single drop waterfalls by volume in the world at 226 meters (741 feet), though after doing a little numbers research…I doubt that it is the largest, but it is definitely beautiful. 
The falls itself offered me no surprises, it was just like the photos, but the views from flight and spotting a few Cock-of-the-Rocks was the unexpected pleasant bonus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment