Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Orinoco Delta...where anything can happen.

March 2, 2010: I just got back from a successful trip deep into the Orinoco Delta for 3 days...where anything can happen. Yes, anything...such as a woman trying to get with me as she was in a drunken state with her boob hanging out flapping around as a three month old baby was attached to the tip. Standing inches away from me as she looked up to talk...it felt extremely awkward as I keep trying to step back. Besides seeing a random boob, I saw pink dolphins, parrots, monkeys, sloths and a jumping spider...on my hand. I was a bit too close to the spider as I attempted to take a macro shot of it, first jumping on the camera and then on me right after I quickly put the camera on the ground as I couldn't shake him free. As if I wasn't human, my hand moved faster than the human eye could see, as I violently shook it off.

The people in this region lives in dried leafed roofed shelters on stilts along the delta sleeping in hammocks. The older people believed in clothes and the New York Yankee by looking at their hats and the kids believed in the art of streaking. The delta seems to provide for the people who seem to almost have nothing materialistically. It was their bath, toilet and a place to catch fish in this gigantic toilet to feed their families and tourists. My spanish skills were put to the test the past few days as nobody spoke english where I was staying. So if I was to be graded...I received an D- (or a 1.0).

On the delta, I caught my first fish in years right off the dock that I just bathed in and performed my first aqua deuce (it was either while in the water of from above in a wooden shack on stilts that rested in the water with two slits for two people to either face each other or in case someone makes a mess and misses I suppose). The fish I caught was small but it was a piranha - so the size doest really matter to me. It also doesn't matter that I didn't want to touch it as it smiled at me waiting for my fingers to get close to its pearly whites. Not wanting to risk it I had assistance to remove the hook embedded in its lower lip as it continued to smile waiting for the moment someone made the slightest mistake.

One afternoon, coming back to the house after a relaxing swim I saw in the kitchen a bowl filled with legs and heads. We were having turtle soup for lunch. I am glad I did not see the execution of these harmless creature that were too slow to escape the executioner. Eating it - one tiny bite of the grey foot with the little toes pointing at me...and one bite of some unknown part, I was done. It wasn't bad tasting but I was not hungry enough to eat a turtle. To easily get out of not eating the rest I lied and rubbed my stomach simulating that I wasn't feeling well - which somehow eliminated me from dinner and instead they gave me Jello.

I will be leaving for Santa Elene de Uairen in 2 days. This town is on the boarder of Brazil (which I am not allowed to enter at the time due to not having a visa). I met this nice Czech couple the other day and they are also going that way, having space for me in their tent for about a 6 day trek up to the top of one of the mountains. It will be nice to travel with someone for a few days but I am bit concerned about her husband who seems to like to walk around the hotel in his speedo like underwear. I will suggest that in the tent that his wife sleeps in the middle for my own safety and well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment