Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Amazon Basin

August 25th, 2009: After my feeble attempt to get some puss filed “seat soars” by traveling 8 hours on a local bus, 4 hours on a transport bus and 2 hours on a longboat, I made it to the Amazon basin unscathed. Today was my first day in the Jungle at the Cuyabeno Reserve and I have already seen everything that I came to see: Squirrel Monkeys, Cappuccino Monkeys, Wooly Monkeys, Monsoky Monkeys - deep breath - spiders, bats, birds, caimans, anacondas and an extremely large Mormon sized family of cockroaches in my very own hut – and this was only my first day of this 5 day adventure.

At sunset, we motored out to the center of this soundless lagoon as I watched Mother Nature’s use of undiscovered shades of reds and oranges that Crayola has not yet capitalized on as she skillfully used the sky for her canvas, quickly changing it as the seconds raced by. Slowly she took the sun away from us and generously gave it to someone else to see as they patiently or not so patiently waited for its arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment