Monday, July 20, 2009

Projecting the path of a tumbling boulder

June 16th, 2009: Riding the off-road capable bus back from Tierradentro to Popayan, I was soaking in the beautiful scenery through my filthy window. The muddy roads the bus would struggle through were retched, barely doing their job as there were several spots the road could no longer hold on, breaking away into the water that flowed hundreds of feet below, thus reducing the width so that even a Suburban would struggle going past.

Looking up at a hill where a land slide occurred a few days prior, I saw something moving. I thought it was perhaps a goat or a cow enjoying the new terrain. Looking closer I noticed it was a rock…not a rock, but a large boulder about the size of the world’s largest man in the fetal position, slowly tumbling down the hill. My mind quickly went to work and my calculations projected that it was going to hit us - but thankfully not affecting me…just the front left hand side of the bus. Not saying anything, I just watched it roll in slow motion as we moved closer to its path of decent hoping the driver would notice what was taking place. I kept on glancing at the bus driver through the rear view mirror, waiting for some evasive action but nothing was being done…not even a slight tap on the brake or a massive stomp on the gas pedal. As we came closer, somehow the boulder stopped, getting hung up on a small flat ledge of the hill.

Disappointed that I was not able to type more on this event…I leaned my head back on my jacket that rested against the window and internally pouted as I continued to enjoy the views back to Popayan.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously? No superman moves to save the people or near death experience with the rock? Yawn... :)

    ReplyDelete