Monday, June 8, 2009

Time to properly label my pills…

May 23rd, 2009: Getting over some stomach ailment from the forced consumption of all the unprocessed sewer water, I needed to get out of my self induced incarceration at the hostel the past few days. Deciding to put my body to the test along with the pharmaceutical industry’s ability to create effective drugs, I officially went on strike against the white porcelain bowl - which more resembles an international hair magnet - and headed out to explore the surrounding area.

Since it was my first day going farther than 20 feet from my bed…I decided I would take some anti-diarrheal medication to prevent any potential accidents on the trail. Prior to leaving for South America, to make more room in my gargantuan backpack, I emptied all my oversized pill containers into smaller more space conscious bottles. I thought…consolidating wouldn’t be a problem, especially when you have a prescription in a bottle that fills 1/34th of the container and is as big as two D batteries.

Taking a minibus to Barichara, I explored the familiar setting of most of the smaller colonial towns in Colombia. From Bariachara I did a 10K hike through the hillside to reach this fascinating small town, Guane. I was so much of a risk taker, I didn’t even bring a dog/human poop bag or toilet paper.

Making it the entire day by a tooth of the zipper, I thought the pills were a success - until I was ready to take some more. Looking more closely at what I took, I discovered it was not anti-diarrheal medication, it was…Benadryl… extra strength. No wonder my butt didn’t itch - today was my lucky day. I think it is time...to properly label my pills.

3 comments:

  1. You continue to make me smile. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! that is entirely too rich! glad you're feeling better and keeping us all laughing with your great stories!
    xoxo, elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your feeling better! Labeling your pills is a good idea! lol Stay safe and keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete